Monday, November 11, 2013

Video Tutorial: Creating a Mixed Media Journal Cover {Dusty Attic}

 
I've gotten some requests for me to do a video tutorial on decorating an art journal cover.  I did a shabby-chic cover a couple of years ago but thought this time I would try doing a 'Finnabiar' style cover.  I picked up a Canson art journal recently, I like this one because it has very good quality watercolor paper in it for art journaling.  I used a variety of mixed media elements and some of my favourite Dusty Attic chipboard.  I will list all the products I used to make this journal cover at the end of my post (just after the video clip).  Hope you enjoy!
 

 

 
Supplies:
~ Canson Art Journal
~ Patterned Paper: Prima Sunrise Sunset collection
~ Dusty Attic Chipboard: Scallop Circles, Cogs #1, Jumbo Cogs,
Vintage Keys, Nuts and Bolts, Bookman ABC Set, Elegant Flourish Small
~ Stencils: Crafters Workshop 'Art Is' 6x6, Prima Checker 'Sunrise Sunset collection
~ Home-made texture paste (recipe in right column of my blog)
~ Luminarte H20's 'Egyptian Gold'
~ Luminarte Silks 'Snap Dragon'
~ Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist 'Almost Black', 'Cinnamon'
~ Perfect Pearls Mist 'Interference Red'
~ Prima Clear Pebbles
~ Prima Mechanicals 'Roman Numerals'
~ Prima Flowers 'Precious Metals-Gold', 'Sunrise Sunset Gold Roses'
~ Dress It Up (small pebbles)
~ Recollections Metal Accents, some Dollar Store Metal accents
~ Dry wall tape (from hardware store)
~ Other: bottle caps, buttons, dollar store gems.
 
 
Hope you enjoyed my video and I hope this has inspired you to give mixed media a try!  Thanks so much for all the wonderful feedback on my work and tutorials.  I've gotten a number of requests for technique videos and will try to get some more done soon. xo xo

28 comments:

Аня said...

Absolutely amazin!!!

Jan Rankine said...

This is stunning Gabrielle. I loved your video

Christina Hicks said...

SO gorgeous, and thanks so much for the video.

Vicky Alberto said...

Ahhhh-mazing!

Tone M. said...

fantasic, really-really

Romy said...

Seriously stunning journal! You really know how to rock mixed media!

LISA said...

You got my heart this time!!! I am pulling out a journal and rocking the cover just like you did!!!So flippin gorgeous. And you know how much I love those Silks paints!!!! ;)

morkaren said...

Tak Gabrielle, for at må følge dit vidunderlige arbejde, det er utroligt kreativt. knus morkaren.

Sarah - Crea S said...

Stunning! Adore the colors!
Hugs,
http://littlecreass.blogspot.be/

Patty O'Malley said...

I always love seeing how your projects evolve! This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

What a gorgeous, amazing project!! Thanks for sharing your process!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Lizzyc said...

How beautiful your cover is, and I really loved watching you create.. thanks for taking the time to make the video, I will look forward to seeing more of them..

Audrey said...

Love what you've done. Thanks so much for sharing Gabi. Paying it forward, that's what it's all about ;)

misty said...

Very beautiful!!!

Only By His Grace said...

OMG!! I really love this.
I love all your creations. Beautiful.
You make it looks so easy.
Hugs maz

Only By His Grace said...

Really stunning work. Love the colours. Love the design. Love the video. Going out to buy some of those items and have a go.
Hugs maz

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Wow this is fantastic! :D

Lise said...

SO gorgeous, and thanks so much for the video.

I´m loving it:-))))))

Paula Calvanico said...

As always you inspire me :) These colors are so me being an October baby, it makes my heart sing.

DON'T EVER STOP SHARING!!!! Haters and nasties will always be a nuisance, you are a wonderful teacher and artist you are loved by many :D

{{{Hugs}}}

xoxoxo <3
Paula

Unknown said...

absolutely stunning!

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow Gabrielle!!! This is stunning. Loved watching the process .. was absolutely mesmerized. Thank you so much for sharing. ox

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your work and tutorials!!! Please come to Sydney Australia for a visit and some classes xx

Magda said...

I love your work, this is fantastic ... but I find it really sad, that it's not possible to order stuff from Dusty Attic when I'm not from Australia (or at least I don't see how I could). Still, beautiful piece of work! :)

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi Magda, I'm not sure where you are but if you are in the USA or Canada, there are a number of online retailers that carry Dusty Attic products. I list a number of them in the right side column of my blog. There are also some in the UK that carry them as well :)

LoveVN said...

Charming work! I have long admired and considered! Thanks for the video tutorial!

Charlene Mitchell said...

wow! wow! wow! I followed a link from the gallery at Scrapbook.com and I was just looking to see how you used the Crackle stencil. This is a gorgeous project and your video is fantastic. It was very helpful having a large picture of your journal beneath the video and it was fascinating watching you create! TFS! I'll be back to check out more of your blog!

Michelle said...

Thoroughly enjoyed watching your creative process Gabi! Awesome tutorial!

Unknown said...

I LOVE your work!!!
Do you sell some of your things?
Greets from Germany

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails