Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Scrapping Masculine Style {NEW Maja Design & Dusty Attic}


As most of you know by now, I have two daughters and no sons so most of my scrapping is done in a more feminine style. But I do have a bunch of handsome nephews and my dear husband that I occasionally get to scrap, so I was so thrilled to see that the new ' Vintage Autumn Basics' collection has a big variety of both masculine and feminine paper designs.


I recently recieved this beautiful collection and while normally I automatically reach for the more feminine papers, this time around I wanted to scrap in a more masculine style. I had this photo of my dear husband Steve and my cutie-pie nephew Jared at a retirement party for Steve's older brother. The title on the page 'Tempus Fugit' (Latin for 'Time Flies') was just perfect for this photo! It seems like yesterday that we were baby sitting my young nephews when Steve's brother and his wife would go on trips, and now my BIL is passing down the reigns of his company to my nephews! Time really does fly! (the little girls you sometimes see me scrapping are Jared's little girls!). For this page I went with the 'time' theme and used lots of the clock images in this collection, as well as layering a number of the patterned papers. I started out by fussy cutting out a bunch of the clock designs.


Here I used the Dusty Attic Wall Clock #2, but I cut and pasted one of the clocks from the Vintage Autumn Basics papers to the face of the clock. I dressed the chipboard up a bit by using a bronze metalic paint and adding some dots and details (I used Scribbles Bronze paint....from Michaels). The zipper is also a chipboard design from Dusty Attic (I wanted to try and stick to masculine style embellishments for the majority of the the decorations....and the Dusty Attic zipper is one of my all time favourites!).

I had this cute metal stopwatch embellishment that I found at Michaels, I didn't love the clock design they had used on this embellishment, so again I cut out one of the clock designs from the Maja paper, tinted the edges lightly with blue chalk ink and pasted it on the clock. The chipboard gears are Dusty Attic, as are the roses...the larger blue flowers are from Petaloo (Darjeeling collection....I think the are are really good match to the Maja collection).


I always like to use scraps of burlap for masculine layouts, I think it adds that nice textural element to the page that lace usually adds to my more feminine pages. Another nice masculine element to use is corrugated cardboard, metal, buttons and chipboard elements. Here are the Dusty Attic goodies I used on this page today (You can find these products at the Dusty Attic Website and I also have a listing in the rightside panel of my blog (Such A Pretty Mess blogspot) for Dusty Attic Retailers in USA and Canada)....
I hope you enjoyed my masculine style page today, and hope you will give this beautiful new collection a try whether you scrap in the masculine or feminine style! xo

 

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow fantastic 2 good looking men.
Chris x

bolletjelucky.blogspot.com said...

Hi Gabriella,it is a beautiful masculin LO,love the bold embellishment,especially the zipper,wauw!I already bought the paper because I liked it so much and you inspired me with this LO...greetings Miranda

Patty O'Malley said...

Perfection! I find it so difficult to make masculine projects, but you do it with ease! Love it!

☼ Carolina ☼ said...

bello! te felicito!

Sarah - Crea S said...

Wow Gabrielle! Since I've been following you I haven't seen a masculine page style, I think. But wow, wow, wow! I think it's difficult to make the switch between feminine (flowers, butterflies, pinks, ...)and masculine style but you've done a pretty great job on that part. Like you say some burlap, corrugated cardboard, metal, ... are the perfect materials to keep it masculine. Also the embellies from Dusty Attic are well chosen!
Hugs,
http://littlecreass.blogspot.be/

morkaren said...

Hej Gabriella, hvor er det et smukt LO hvis man kan kalde noget så maskulint smukt, du har virkelig ramt den maskuline stil, ja jeg har tre sønner men ingen døtre, sådan er det sommetider uretfærdigt fordelt. knus morkaren.

Danoesja said...

Hi Gabrielle

Wauw this is a great masculine LO. I love the zipper and how you did the clocks, its really awesome.
Just like Miranda i bought these papers a few days ago.....now i need some time to work with it, maby also a masculine page of my sons, you give us a lot of inspiration, thanks.

Hugs, Danoesja

Gladys Arenas Franco said...

Really spectacular!!

Gladys Arenas Franco said...

Really spectacular!!

Anonymous said...

Such Genius!! ~smile~ Really, this is very cool Gabi!~
Sounds like a little ingenuity and you had lots already
there to work with!
I love all the distressing you did; and layers.
You are so full of inspiration!
And, you changed out the clock faces! I forget about
things like that!! : j
(don't like it? cover it up and it's like a new piece!)
Thanks for all the detail you give! Beautiful work!

Janene said...

Amazing layout - as always. Can't wait to get these papers -they should be here any day. Love it!

Paula Calvanico said...

Since girls are the dominant in this household as well, I find going manly a challenge sometimes. You pulled it off perfectly :) great layout with just fantastic texture and layers. Love your use of the burlap, awesome inspiration as always :)

Doesn't it just floor you when you think about how fast time goes!?! It kills me that my older kids and nieces and nephews are all adults now. I look at them and can still see them as 3 and 4 yr olds running around without a care.

Paula

Romy said...

I just knew you would rock these stunning papers and you have done so indeed! I really like the colours and all the awesome details that you added.

Lynn said...

Amazing Masculine layout Gabi!! I love all the elements and how you did your style but with a masculine touch!! You rock it no matter what you do!!

Cindy Gay said...

The zipper is a nice touch, also the burlap. Very nice and handsome men too!

Heather Jacob said...

sensational with a capital S .. loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this xoxo

Unknown said...

such a fabulous masculine layout!! love it!

Lizzyc said...

Wow wow wow! This is as ruggedly handsome as your feminine layouts are beautiful.. really wonderfully created. love the male embellies.. beautiful..love the colors and textures and what a dapper photo too...

a1983alaskan said...

I just love what you do with masculine pages! Wish we had the opportunity to see more of them in your collection :-)

Benwah said...

Spectacular layout. Love all the blues. The embellishments are so suited to the layout. Thanks for sharing.

Beneta
slayer2b@hotmail.com

Mary Elizabeth said...

Can you tell that I'm trying to catch up on everything I missed this month in crafty blogland? This is fabulous! The Dusty Attic items do lend such structure to the page and I love the background papers you used here. Definitely pinning this! I have some masculine layouts to do myself and I am really inspired by your masterpiece :) -- Mary Elizabeth

Kaśka said...

Podziwiam Twój talent, tworzysz piękne prace :)

dreamer said...

Came across this wonerful page from 2013 Oct Tempus Fugit, pleas would you do a video some time on this great layout just fell in love with it, a Vedeo we can all see. I jest adore your work thank you very much. Regards Wendy , from aus

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails